As summer continues to heat up, what better way to cool off your dog than with ice cream? It’s delicious and is sure to get their tail wagging.
A tasty ice cream treat is a fun way to have your dog celebrate the summer festivities with you and more importantly, it puts a smile on their faces. While store-bought doggie ice creams are cool (pun intended), making your own ice cream and then watching your dog enjoy your creation is more fun to watch!
Pet sitting website Rover.com has made it easy for pet parents to make an ice cream that your canine companions will love. Their simple two-ingredient watermelon ice cream recipe is not only delicious for dogs, but humans can enjoy it too.
You can turn your leftover watermelon into a treat your dog won’t be able to resist. This special treat could also be used to celebrate doggie birthdays, gotcha days, picnics, BBQs, or just because watermelon was on sale.
Check the recipe below:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 1 1/2 cups frozen watermelon
- 1/4 cup yogurt (substitute with coconut milk or coconut yogurt for lactose sensitivities)
- Food processor
- Wash melon before cutting.
- Dice a few cups of watermelon, removing seeds as you go.
- Place in freezer for 4 hours (or overnight if you prefer).
- Place 1 1/2 cups of frozen melon in the food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup of yogurt (can do dairy-free if needed).
- Blitz in food processor, adding more fruit or yogurt to adjust flavor and texture.
- Serve immediately.
Note: You can refreeze the ice cream, but the texture may not be ideal
You can always add more ingredients such as natural peanut butter or some other fruits or veg to change and liven up the recipe.