Taking your dog on a road trip is one of the most rewarding experiences you and your pooch could ever have. Traveling down picturesque, countryside roads and stopping to stretch your legs along wide open fields is sure to bring some wags to your furry friend’s tail.
Now, Tails.com, a dog food subscription site, has put together a list of Europe’s most iconic road trips which offer the best experience for dogs (and their parents too).
The site took 78 of the most popular European road trip journeys and researchers used a five point criteria to determine which road trips offer the most for dogs and dog parents along the way.
Paris to Nice (France)
Ranking at the very top is this 578-mile road trip through the heart of France. The country is already known for being quite dog friendly. Along this exceptional route, you will pass through hundreds of dog-friendly destinations including Paris, Lyon, Valence, Avignon, Marseille and Nice.
Tails.com gave this road trip a score of 36.2 out of 50 for elements like dog-friendly Airbnb’s and dog-friendly restaurants along the way. Your dog will be able to stop and rest their paws after traveling so much.
The site recommends making stops to Lyon, Valence, Avignon and Marseille along the way.
2. Edinburgh to Kirkwall (Scotland)
Earlier this year, Edinburgh ranked at the top for pet friendly UK staycations, so it’s no surprise that the city ranks as one of the top 3 for road trips. The city has loads of green spaces, pet friendly Airbnb’s and places to eat. Just outside the city there are several beaches including the popular Portobello Beach which is dog friendly.
Along the way, Tails.com recommends making stops along Aberdeen and Inverness on the way to Kirkwall.
“Kirkwall Harbourfront is a picturesque place to enjoy a leisurely stroll with your dog and once you’ve worked up an appetite, perch on a bench with some fish and chips, watching the local fishermen come and go,” Tails.com states.
3. Marbella to Granada (Spain)
This Spanish road trip scores 30.4 out of 50 for dog-friendly restaurants and Airbnb’s and there’s plenty of places to stop off for some tapas and dog treats along the way.
Tails.com pointed out several restaurants that let your pooch join.
Along the way, you can make stops in the beautiful cities of Ronda, Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera, Seville and Cordoba.
Rounding out the top ten dog friendly road trips are:
4. England – The Atlantic Highway (Barnstaple, Bude, Exmoor National Park, Newquay).
5. France – Alsace Wine Route (Mulhouse, Colmar, Strasbourg)
6. England and Wales – Oxford to Wye Valley (Oxford, Cotswolds, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Ross-on-Wye)
7. England – Plymouth to Southampton (Plymouth, Dartmoor National Park, Exeter, Dorchester, Bournemouth, New Forest, Southampton)
8. Portugal – Atlantic Coast (Porto, Coimbra, Nazare, Sintra, Lisbon)
9. Scotland – Royal Deeside Tourist Route (Perth, Blairgowrie, Aboyne, Aberdeen)
10. Italy – Florence to Amalfi Coast (Florence, Siena, Rome, Positano, Ravello)
For tips on how to take your dog on a road trip check out: