These common garden flowers could be dangerous to your dog

March showers have brought in April flowers in the UK and while spring continues to bloom, dog parents have been warned that certain flowers could be dangerous to your beloved pooch.

It is important to keep your garden free of certain toxic plants and flowers, especially if you have a curious dog who likes to explore, according to Naturo, a dog food company. 

Victoria Kerr, a pet nutritionist at Naturo, warned of five plants that could be fatal to your dog if they ingest them.

  • Daffodils. These flowers are a symbol of the spring season, blooming across the country including in popular dog walking spots. Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if the flowers or bulbs are consumed in large amounts as this is where the toxins are concentrated. Kerr said, “You will be able to spot if your dog has sneakily eaten a daffodil as they will display symptoms linked to vomiting and will often be a bit wobbly and sleepy.”
Daffodils (image: Naturo)
  • Tulips. Also known to bloom in the spring, the beautifully coloured tulips are considered harmful to both cats and dogs. All parts of this plant are toxic, but similar to the daffodil, the most dangerous part lies within the bulb and can cause vomiting, drooling and diarrhoea.
Tulips (image: Naturo)
  • Bluebells. These blue flowers appear in mid to late spring but they contain a toxin that is bad for dogs and if eaten will result in an upset stomach, which can obtain streaks of blood. Kerr said, “You often see bluebells in woodland areas so when walking your dog remember to keep an eye out to make sure they aren’t eating anything they shouldn’t, as this can cause an irregular heartbeat.”
Bluebells (image: Photo by Suzy Hazelwood:
  • Rhododendrons and Azalea. Both of these spring flowers are closely related as they both have pink flowers and Azaleas are actually a species of Rhododendrons. According to Kerr, all parts of the Rhododendrons can lead to health problems and even eating small amounts can make pets very ill. “Rhododendron has the presence of a toxin called grayanotoxin and this is what makes it so unsafe to dogs,” Kerr said. All parts of Azaleas are also poisonous to dogs.
Azaleas and Rhododendrons (image: Naturo)
  • Foxgloves. While beautiful, they are harmful to dogs, cats and even humans. They contain a natural poison, cardiac glycosides, that can affect the heart. The severity depends on the amount ingested but symptoms include nausea, drooling and vomiting. Kerr said, “If you are worried about your pup chewing on foxgloves, the best course of action is to remove it from your garden for peace of mind. For those with adventurous dogs it is best to get rid of any toxic flowers or plants around the home.”
Foxglove (image: Naturo)
  • Lilies. While not all lilies are toxic to your dog, many are toxic and can cause gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. ‘True’ lilies or daylilies can be problematic for dogs and are extremely toxic to cats.
Lilies (image: Naturo)
  • Hyacinths. These plants are toxic to dogs. Some common signs to watch out for include drooling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate and difficulty breathing.
Hyacinths (image: Naturo)
  • Oleander. All part of this plant are poisonous to your dog. 
Oleander (image: Naturo)

If you suspect that your dog has ingested any toxic plant, contact your trusted vet immediately. 

It is crucial to be aware of the plants and flowers in your garden that can be harmful to your dog,” Naturo stated. “By taking the necessary precautions this planting season, you can ensure that your furry friend stays safe and healthy.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *